Citizens who have lived in Austria for at least 10 years can apply for citizenship in Austria. If you would like to know how to get citizenship in Austria in 2024, and the formalities imposed, we suggest you get in touch with one of our lawyers for legal guidance. Our Austrian citizenship lawyer can provide specialist legal advice.
|Nationalities accepted (EU/Non-EU)
Both EU and non-EU
Business investment option (YES/NO)
|Real estate investment option (YES/NO)
|Other investment options (if available)
– Government bonds,
– forming a joint venture
|Living requirement in Austria (YES/NO)
|Residence or direct citizenship option
Major contributions to the economy of Austria through investments
|Direct immigration with family members (YES/NO)
|Family members allowed to join the program
Children, parents, grandparents
|Residence visa/citizenship processing time (approx.)
|Between 24 and 36 months
|Additional financial requirements for family members (YES/NO)
|Time frame for obtaining citizenship/residency by investment
Minimum 5 years with permanent residence permit
|Dual citizenship permitted (YES/NO)
|Reasons to choose Austria
– multiple business opportunities,
– excellent standards of living,
– high quality education and healthcare
|Personal income tax rate
|Ranges between 0% and 55%, depending on the incomes
|Visa free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)
How can I get citizenship in Austria in 2024?
The formalities for Austrian citizenship are simple if you seek the help of our lawyers. In addition to being required to stay in Austria for at least 10 years, citizenship candidates must also meet other conditions. Let’s review some of these:
- Authorities are demanding proof of a stable income in Austria. Bank statements are also sufficient.
- Applicants must show that they have a positive attitude towards Austria.
- A clean criminal record is needed.
- Knowledge of the German language is required.
- Some standard forms will be filled in with personal data.
- Proof of domicile in Austria is required. Current bills are sufficient.
- A birth certificate and identity document (or passport) are required.
- Proof of payment of the citizenship application in Austria is required.
These are some of the formalities to consider if you are wondering how to get citizenship in Austria in 2024. As the process may seem complicated at first glance, we invite you to talk to our Austrian citizenship lawyer. Also, more about immigration to Austria can be discussed with one of our local experts. Our immigration lawyers in Austria are at your disposal, including for obtaining residency in Austria.
The recognition of historical responsibility referring to victims of National Socialism was recognized in 2019 by the Austrian parliament and the amendment adopted to the Citizenship Act in Austria. As such, these persons can obtain Austrian citizenship by contacting the diplomatic representatives, respectively Consulates and Embassies, and making a declaration in this sense.
A woman who lost Austrian citizenship before 1 September 1983 after getting married to a foreigner can re-obtain the original citizenship if she makes an application within 5 years after getting a divorce or if her husband died.
Here is an infographic with information about citizenship in Austria:
How to become a citizen of Austria by making investments
Making investments ranging from EUR 800,000 to EUR 10 million in the form of a joint venture is another possibility to get citizenship in Austria. Also, direct investment in a present business on the market that creates jobs is another option. Such donations to a relevant public project are also permitted. Here are some requests for how to become a citizen of Austria by making investments:
- Applicants must prove that they are active investors in Austria.
- And in this case, the Austrian authorities demand a clean criminal record.
- A birth and marriage certificate, plus a valid passport are required for an Austrian citizenship application.
- A resume containing business background information is also required by the authorities.
- References from other foreign investors or collaborators are also accepted.
- The key ministries of Austria are the institutions that analyze citizenship by investment in Austria for foreign applicants.
- There will also be a background check when processing the application.
- The family can also be part of the citizenship process in Austria by investment.
What is important to note is that applicants should not give up their current citizenship. So, if you want more information on how to get citizenship in Austria, we invite you to discuss all the details with our Austrian citizenship lawyer.
Former Austrian citizens who had citizenship for at least 10 years before losing Austrian nationality can benefit from a privileged re-acquisition of such citizenship by a shortened procedure. As such, applicants must be present in Austria and make a declaration that they renounce their foreign nationality.
We invite you to watch a video presentation we have prepared about Austrian citizenship:
Other ways to become a citizen of Austria
Citizenship by marriage and by descent are other ways in which a foreign national can gain this status in 2024. If you are married to a foreign national or if you can prove that you have relatives in this country, then you are already qualified for Austrian citizenship. All that remains is to discuss all aspects with our Austrian citizenship lawyer.
Here are some statistics about migration to Austria, mentioning that our immigration lawyers in Austria are at yout service with legal advice:
- The population of Austria exceeds 8.9 million citizens, of which over 1.5 million are foreigners.
- Foreigners living in Austria represent about 17% of the total population, according to data for 2021.
One should note that if the parents of a child are not married the father is a citizen of Austria, and the mother is from another state, the child obtains Austrian citizenship by descent. This can happen only if the father recognizes paternity within 8 weeks following the birth of the child.
Citizens who were forced to leave Austria before 9 of May 1945 due to fear of persecution or who have suffered such persecution or were mistreated because they defended the democratic Republic of Austria can re-establish their Austrian citizenship by declaration, and no further requirements.
What does Austrian citizenship by application entail?
Foreign persons can apply for citizenship in Austria if they prove that they have lived in this country for at least 15 or 30 years and if they have had productive professional and personal integration.
There are other situations for citizenship in Austria by application, and here it involves people who have stayed 10 years uninterrupted in this country, with a minimum of 5 years with permanent residency. They must prove that they have a clear criminal record, sufficient income to be able to live in Austria, and knowledge of the German language. We recommend the legal services offered by our law firm in Austria for obtaining citizenship.
Reacquisition of Austrian citizenship
There are special situations in which various citizens want to reacquire Austrian citizenship. Here are some explanations in this sense:
- Women of Austrian origin who married foreign citizens and thus lost their citizenship can apply for reacquisition only after the death of their husband or after divorce. These rules apply to marriages that took place before September 1, 1983.
- Former Austrian citizens who have had this citizenship for at least 10 years and who lost it at some point can benefit from the simplified procedure. There is the obligation to be present in Austria for this step and to renounce foreign citizenship.
- Likewise, the reacquisition of Austrian citizenship can also involve people who were forced to leave Austria or were persecuted before May 9, 1945. A declaration is sufficient to regain Austrian citizenship.
Certain situations can be complicated from a legal point of view, especially when it comes to the reacquisition of citizenship in Austria. For these reasons, we advise you to talk to one of our lawyers in Austria and find out what steps to follow in the desired approach.
What happens in case of loss of citizenship in Austria?
Austrian citizens who want to apply for a foreign nationality will automatically lose their citizenship in Austria. Also, people who want to join the army voluntarily in a foreign country can lose this status. There are also cases in which Austrian citizenship can be revoked if the person in question works in a country that is in conflict with Austria or that directly affects the country’s interests.
We also mention that, people who fail to revoke the former citizenship, within a maximum of 2 years, once they have obtained the Austrian one, can lose the latter one. However, there are also people who want to give up Austrian citizenship willingly, and the process is possible, considering a few formalities.
Obtaining an Austrian passport after citizenship
Once you become an Austrian citizen, you will receive a passport. This document is among the most powerful in the world, respectively the fourth worldwide, in terms of importance. Also, with an Austrian passport you can travel without restrictions in the countries that are part of the Schengen area, as well as in other countries, around 188, where entry visas are not required. You can travel to Argentina, Bahamas, Bermuda, Brazil, Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, or Malaysia. However, entry visas are offered to countries such as Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Madagascar, Maldives, Qatar, etc.
Therefore, the Austrian passport comes with various benefits. In addition, you have the right to vote, just like other Austrian citizens, once you get your citizenship and passport.
Want to know more about how to get citizenship in Austria? We invite you to contact our law firm in Austria. An Austrian citizenship lawyer will take over your case and tell you more about immigration to Austria.